Bienvenidos/Bem-vindos/Welcome to Emory "SpanPort"
We study and teach about the languages, texts and cultures of the Spanish- and Portuguese-speaking worlds, including Iberia, Latin America, Africa and the US. We aim to engage students, other scholars and members of local and other communities in the interdisciplinary study of these worlds.
Our research and teaching cover a range of fields, but converge on the following themes:
- Narratives and performance of identity and citizenship
- Empire, colonialism and post-coloniality
- Translating language, translating culture
We offer programs of study at the undergraduate and graduate levels. At all levels, we focus on developing students’ understanding of past and present texts – from literary texts to film & media texts to everyday talk – and the social and cultural contexts that shape and are shaped by such texts.
For undergraduates, we offer:
- Entry-level courses that develop fundamental communicative & cultural competence in Spanish & Portuguese
- Majors in Spanish, Spanish and Portuguese, and Spanish and Linguistics
- Minors in Spanish and in Lusophone Studies
At the graduate level, we offer a PhD in Spanish.
We also sponsor Casa Émory, study abroad programs in Iberia and Latin America, as well as frequent academic and cultural events, many of which are open to the public.