vindos/Welcome to Emory "SpanPort"
We study and teach about the languages, texts
Our research and teaching cover a range of fields, but converge on the following strategic foci:
- Translating language and culture
- Narratives/performance of identity and citizenship
- Empire, colonialism, and post-coloniality
We offer programs of study at the undergraduate and graduate levels. At all levels, we focus on developing students’ understanding of past and present texts – from literary texts to film & media texts to everyday talk – and the social and cultural contexts that shape and are shaped by such texts.
For undergraduates, we offer:
- Entry-level courses that develop fundamental communicative & cultural competence in Spanish & Portuguese
- Majors in Spanish, Spanish and Portuguese, and Spanish and Linguistics
- Minors in Spanish and in Lusophone Studies
At the graduate level, we offer an interdisciplinary
Department of Spanish and Portuguese
537 Kilgo Circle, 501N Callaway Center
Atlanta, GA 30322
Phone: (404) 727-6434