The Department of Spanish and Portuguese offers Emory undergraduate students diverse opportunities to engage with the languages and cultures of the Hispanic and Lusophone world. Whether you are completely new to our languages or a native speaker, our courses and community can help you deepen your understanding and your ability to communicate.
- We offer introductory to advanced levels, including the study of literature, linguistics, theater, music, online discourse, translation, and other subjects. From 101 forward, our classes are small and are taught in the target language, allowing students to develop their language skills through frequent interaction and meaningful communication. Search for Spanish and Portuguese in the Course Atlas.
- Read about our majors and minors. We offer a major in Spanish, major in Spanish and Portuguese, joint major in Spanish and linguistics, minor in Spanish, and minor in Lusophone studies.
- Outside the classroom, our students get together to practice conversation; live and organize events at Casa Émory; participate in the Phi Sigma Iota Honors Society and other student groups; conduct honors theses and other research projects; and study abroad in our departmental programs in Spain, Argentina, and Brazil, as well as many other Emory College Study Abroad programs in Spanish- and Portuguese-speaking countries.
To find out more about these languages, watch these videos by Prof. José Luis Boigues (Spanish) and Prof. Ana Catarina Teixeira (Portuguese).
Please have a look around our site, visit us on the 5th floor of Callaway Center, and contact us for more information.
- Department Chair - Hiram Maxim
- Director of Undergraduate Studies, Spanish Major and Minor -Jennifer Feldman
- Director of the Spanish Language Program - Robyn Clarke
- Director of Spanish Placement - Jennifer Feldman
- Director of the Portuguese Program - Ana Teixeira
- Coordinator for the joint major in Spanish and lingusitics - José Luis Boigues