Joint Major in Spanish and Linguistics
The Joint Major in Spanish and Linguistics is an interdisciplinary program requiring a minimum of 45 credit hours. If you are interested in declaring a major in Spanish and Linguistics, please visit OUE Forms and fill out the declaration of major/minor form.
Requirements for the Joint Major in Spanish and Linguistics
- Required core courses (5 courses)
- Spanish 303
- Spanish 304 (may be substituted with Ling 201 by petition)
- A research methods course in Spanish or Linguistics (or other related field upon approval)
- Linguistics 101
- Linguistics 401 (only in senior year)
- Advanced 400-level courses in Spanish Linguistics (3 courses)
- Three different Spanish 410 courses
- Language course (1 course)
- 1 language course at any level in a language that is not Spanish
- Electives (at least 4 courses)
In consultation with the advisor, students should take additional courses to complete 45 credits from the following:
- At least 2 courses in Linguistics
- At least 2 courses in Spanish, which can be Span 212 or any other courses at the 300 or 400 levels
- Maximum of 15 credits from approved study abroad programs. Summer study abroad programs run directly by Emory faculty are excluded from this maximum.
- Approval from the program coordinator required for substitutions in the core courses (Ling 201 and research methods course).